Sunday 2 June 2013

Santorini, Greece

Santorini is an island in the sourthern Aegean sea and is about 200 km southeast of mainland Greece. It's not very big and has a population of about 15 000 people. There is a lagoon located in the center of the island and it is surrounded by 300 m high cliffs all around. It's really impressive. The first thing that really intrigued me, was the appearance of the place. It is seriously breathtaking. I've never seen anything like it before. I've been to Greece before and it was just stunning and the idea of visiting this little island kin of away from everything else is really appealing.

Like how stunning is that? It's just extremely beautiful. I just feel as though the island is bursting with historic architecture just waiting to be explored. By going there, I could learn so much about the ancient Minoan civilization. I love learning about the history places have hidden inside the walls of their beautiful buildings. Greece was definitely one of the favourite places I visited for that reason. Pretty much everywhere you walk, you see some type of artifact or statue. It's really incredible knowing that you are able to see some of the things that have built the beautiful country. Most of the buildings are white or an off white colour and it just looks so classic and timeless. I just really think its absolutely gorgeous and would love to have the opportunity to go and to explore even more of Greece. 


If I were to go, I would most definitely have to go sailing. I've always wanted to go sailing, I think it's just really cool and relaxing but also exciting. My parents actually sailed around Greece for a week and always tell me what an incredible experience it was. It's something I need to experience and what better place to do it than in Santorini. Being able to see the huge cliffs from water level would be an experience like no other. It would be an amazing opportunity to snap some beautiful photos. 

The island used to be a circular shape but about 3500 years ago there was a huge volcanic eruption that caused the whole center of the island to sink in the sea leaving behind a hugely magnificent lagoon. This same eruption was also said to be the thing that wiped out most of the Minoan civilization because it sent huge tidal waves across the sea taking out pretty much everything in its path. Some even say that the part of the island that sunk is part of the legendary lost continent of Atlantis. Everything I read about this place makes me want to go so much more and hopefully one day I'll be able to.  


1 comment:

  1. This entry while interesting isn't as strong as your opening piece. You need to make it clear off the top that you haven't yet been to Santorini, but long to get there. The end of your first blog makes it seem like you will discuss your personal travels. This piece, while informative, is far less personal in the opening and it doesn't maintain the connection from the first post. It does improve and return to your opening style towards the end of the entry. The photo selections are beautiful and convince me that I want to go to Santorini, too.

    ReplyDelete