Sunday 2 June 2013

Mont Saint Michel

Mont Saint Michel is a tidal island considered to be a part of Normandy that is 297 acres in size. The highest point on the island is 92 m above sea level and as of 2009 the population has been 44. Its more of a tourist place rather than an actual place to live. There are no cars on the island, you have to walk everywhere.


I just think it's absolutely beautiful. Its so small and cute and I love the fact that you have to walk everywhere. I went many years ago and although I can't remember all the details, I definitely remember my legs being tired by the end of the day. It was well worth it though. 

The construction/layout of the island is a reflection of the feudal society that constructed it. God is at the top, then the abbey and monastery, then the great halls, then stores and housing, then at the bottom fishermen and farmers housing. I find this extremely interesting and you can learn a lot about the way society used to be. 

The tide changes very quickly, it can take a matter of hours for the tide to move several kilometers. Have no fear though, the path (causeway) connecting the island to the main land is never submerged. During the highest tide, the sea goes out 15 km from the coast and comes back very quickly. It's really incredible to watch the tide move throughout the day. 

Although the island is small there are many different things to do. There are four different museums, the abbey, the church, 25 stores and many restaurants. Plenty of things to keep you busy along with an incredible view. 

I was quite young when I went therefore don't remember much of it unfortunately. It is definitely high up on my list of places to visit. Also just a little fun fact, Mont Saint Michel is where my parents found my name! I know, really exciting stuff. It's one of the many reasons why I want to return. Oh, I also forgot to mention that it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It's just a really gorgeous place to visit that I definitely recommend. 



1 comment:

  1. Great photos! If you start to share about how your parents found your name please finish the thought.

    ReplyDelete